[nflug] Linux for a (very) old notebook

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Wed Jun 25 13:08:45 EDT 2008

Eric Benoit wrote:
> :) I'm almost positive it was debian etch now that I think about it.
>
> ice weasle worked well and so did oowriter... though searching the
> internet was not a fast experience because the of the limitations of
> the hardware... there was also the issue of java... and flash seemed
> to slow things down even further.
>

> Joe wrote:
>> Hi.  I just got a cheap notebook - very old.  It's a Celeron running Win
>> 98 (until I convert it to Linux - hopefully.)  (Sony Vaio PCG-N505VE
>> 333MHz, 128MB Ram, 6GB HDD).
>>
>> My old desktop is still working fine with Mandrake 9.1 and I have
>> kubuntu gutsy on my recent notebook, so those are the distros I am
>> familiar with (both use kde).
>>
>> This "new" notebook can't handle a latest-greatest distro.
>>
>> What distro(s) would be a good match for this oldie?
>>
>> I plan to use it primarily for writing text documents with OOo writer
>> and for web browsing with Firefox.
>>
>> Any ideas appreciated - especially about which distros might do the best
>> job of hardware detection.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe

How well can I expect it to work with 128MB ram - especially with OOo?

I am currently downloading puppy Linux, knoppix, and Debian etch.

We'll see how they detect the hardware.

I expect that I can tell it to boot from the weird pci card cdrom
drive.  If that works, I can install as normal.  I've got a spare HD
from my demised Winbook notebook.  I plan on swapping that for the one
in the Sony.  That way, I can experiment all I need to and still have a
fully working system just by putting the Sony HD back in.

Joe