[nflug] FreeBSD 4.6 Error

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Jun 25 08:24:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 16:46 -0400, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Looks like one of our production machines here is FreeBSD 4.6 based
> and I am having the following error show up during boot:
>
> nfsd: RPGPROG_NFS : RPC : Port mapper failure - RPC : Unable to send
>
> At which point I am not able to do anything at all on the console.
>
> Any ideas as this point would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like an issue with NFS but I can only offer a couple things for
you to look at without knowing more about the system (particularly what
about the system has changed recently).

It is likely trying to mount something via NFS from /etc/fstab and/or
provide stuff as NFS exports.  The issue seems to be with the RPC
portmapper.  On FreeBSD 4.X it was literally named portmapper, most
other systems including FreeBSD 5.X and above call it rpcbind.  Based on
the error message it's that piece (portmapper/rpcbind) that's failing.

Start off with checking /etc/fstab to see if anything weird is there
(NFS mounts with odd hostnames, etc).  And watch the console during boot
to see if there are any network configuration related errors that appear
before the machine wedges.

If you want to do some back-and-forth as you work through this we can do
it off-list to save everyone else from the tidbits if you'd prefer.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |