[nflug] I am windows inept

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 3 10:20:01 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 10:09 -0400, Jason Lasker wrote:
> Think along the lines of scalability.  If I have to manage 20 users on 30
> machines I can do it either locally or with a domain.

The other factor to keep in mind is that typically machines "learn" more
about the environment than just user authentication when they join a
Domain.  Server availability, workgroup printers, etc...

It's that aspect of it that might coax you into having only local
accounts but still having the machine join a Domain.  Especially
laptops, which are more or less always a big icky mess...  But this is
definitely an "edge case".  For most sites that find they need to set up
a Domain they then stick to just creating and manipulating user
authentication in the Domain and aside from the local Administrator
account user accounts aren't created as local accounts.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |