[nflug] Down in the cups

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Wed Feb 27 03:03:32 EST 2008

Joe wrote:
> I had an HP460 Deskjet installed and working on my notebook (kubuntu
> gutsy).  It is not currently connected.  I just installed an HP 1020
> Laserjet.
> I went to linuxprinting.org and followed the instructions for installing
> foo2zjs from them (after uninstalling the kubuntu package).
>
> Now I can print a test page or even a file from HP Toolbox.
>
> I went into cups and set it as the default printer.
>
> But, whenever I print using lp, it still sends the output to the HP460
> queue.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> TIA
>
> Joe

One other weirdness:  If I issue lp newquotes.txt, it goes to the 460 queue.
If I then go into cups and transfer it to the 1020 and restart the print
job, it prints with nice margins, word wrap, and font.  But, if I issue
lp -d HP1020 newquotes.txt, it prints in something that looks like
courier font with bad margins and messed up word wrap.

Why would these two methods of printing generate different results?

TIA

Joe