[nflug] Touchpad scrolling problem on a notebook

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Feb 21 14:24:32 EST 2008

Cyber Source wrote:
> It all starts in X. What's in your xorg.conf file?
>
> Joe wrote:
>> I'm running kubuntu gutsy on an HP Pavilion dv5020us notebook with a
>> built-in synaptics touchpad.  I'm right handed and my finger always ends
>> up on the right edge of the touchpad which often causes unintentional
>> vertical scrolling that drives me crazy.
>>
>> I went into kde system settings - Keyboard and Mouse - touchpad -
>> scrolling  and unchecked both horizontal and vertical scrolling.  I also
>> installed ksynaptics which put a short cut to this section in my panel.
>>
>> Whenever I boot (or log in?) vertical scrolling is still enabled.  I go
>> to the above settings and it shows it as disabled.
>> If I enable it, apply and then disable, apply, then it turns off.
>>
>> Any ideas what could cause/fix this?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I missed this post until now.

Here's my config:

Section "Files"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    # path to defoma fonts
    FontPath    "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load    "i2c"
    Load    "bitmap"
    Load    "ddc"
    Load    "dri"
    Load    "extmod"
    Load    "freetype"
    Load    "glx"
    Load    "int10"
    Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Protocol"        "ImPS/2"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver        "synaptics"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
    Option        "HorizScrollDelta"    "0"
    Option        "SHMConfig"        "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "stylus"
    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option        "Type"        "stylus"
    Option        "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"        # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "eraser"
    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option        "Type"        "eraser"
    Option        "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"        # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "cursor"
    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option        "Type"        "cursor"
    Option        "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"        # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express
Integrated Graphics Controller"
    Driver        "i810"
    BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS"
    HorizSync    28-64
    VertRefresh    43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express
Integrated Graphics Controller"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth        1
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth        4
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth        8
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth        15
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth        16
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth        24
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen        "Default Screen"
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice     "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice     "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice     "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode    0666