[nflug] PHP (switch vs. nested if)

Rob Dege livemotion at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:36:38 EST 2008

Hi, I'm wondering which would provide faster processing time based on the
web page I'm building.

I have a variable, let's call it $num.  $num is an int that can be anywhere
from 1 to 80.  Based on $num's value, an array is assigned that is then used
on the web page.  Since this is for a web page, I want to minimize the wait
time as much as possible, and I'm guessing that this could be a potential
bottleneck.  I have not written the code yet, so I can't compare load
times.  I'm considering this more of a "do it the preferred way the first
time".

So I'm curious as to which would be faster, a simple switch with 80 possible
cases, or a "nested if" that uses a sorting algorithm;  or perhaps even more
plausible, a combination of the two.

Any random thoughts are appreciated :)

--
-Rob

Ben Franklin Quote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."