[nflug] Converting from dual boot to virtual machine

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Feb 21 08:09:51 EST 2008

I do it here all the time for my clients. Download the vmware converter,
here's a read---
http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_convert_physical_machines_to_virtual_machines_with_vmware_converter.htm
This will create a virtual machine out of your existing windows boot
that you can run VERBATIM under your Linux side, all the installed
applications etc, will be exactly as they were. Of course certain things
that were needed for the physical will no longer be
needed/applicable/work, you can tweak accordingly. You CANNOT do this
without some sort of alternative data location, i.e. network share, USB
drive, etc., as this process CANNOT dump onto itself. You can then go on
to download and run the FREE vmplayer to run your new vm. There are a
few gotchas along the way, like tricks to "fix" windows activation, as
the machine will create a new product code, that you should change so
the activation feature works. I've done this many many times and could
do this in our shop here. I normally charge 4hrs for such a job, if you
want us to do it for you, contact us off list.
p.s. the really nice thing about this is you can then just tar up your
entire Linux with the vm and you've got everything, just slap it on a
dvd and you have a nice backup of all.