[nflug] adept issue

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Feb 21 02:39:35 EST 2008

I am running kubuntu gutsy.  I uninstalled the version of Open Office (a
bunch of packages) that came with gutsy.
I downloaded the latest version from Open Office and ran the rpm's
through alien -c so I got all the install scripts as well.  I then
installed all the debs using dpkg and everything worked fine after a few
issues of making sure all the old stuff was gone.

Immediately, the adept notifier popped up in my panel.  I says updates
are available and upon checking them, I found that it thinks going
backwards from version 2.3.1 to 2.3.0 is an upgrade.

I went into aptitude and set all the OOo packages on hold so they
wouldn't get upgraded by accident.  I thought that might make the
problem go away, but it didn't seem to change anything.

I like using the notifier to keep up to date, but now it shows up always
and if I want to use it, I have to manually cancel all the OOo related
changes every time.

Previously, I tried installing OOo manually under /opt without using
dpkg, etc.  It installed, but it wasn't pretty.  OOo writer (the
application I use the most) wouldn't install and the only way I could
launch OOo was by clicking on a file in konqueror and then I got some
sort of read-only viewers.  My shortcuts to run OOo failed weirdly.  So
my install was very flawed somehow - presumably in the system
integration department.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem would be appreciated.

I like to keep OOo, Firefox, and Thunderbird at the latest greatest
stable releases and not wait for them to be ported.

TIA

Joe