[nflug] Making Red Hat driver disks.

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Wed Feb 13 13:18:43 EST 2008

I have notes from when I created a custom initrd back in RH 7.2 when the
default kickstart image didn't include some modules I needed for a
kickstart. The driver was in included on a supplemental disk, so it's not
exactly the same problem, but it's in the same ballpark, so perhaps it
will be helpfull.

You may be able to wedge your manually compiled module into it.

Creating custom RedHat kickstart floppies:
(eepro1000 with kickstart on poweredge 1650)
(http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-July/020438.html)

With some help from John <jcouncilman - at - knology.net> in former
threads, I was able to get my kickstart going.  John pointed me to a
google cache page at the following url:

http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:vp3G_lH2k4cC:www.dulug.duke.edu/~mstenner/kickstart/add-driver+bootnet+img+add+driver+7.2&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It's a little out of date & perhaps a little confusing, but it has all the
info you need to get it done.  Here's exactly what I needed to do to get
it working for a 1650 in 7.2.

-Make Bootdisks
         dd if=bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0
         dd if=drvnet.img of=/dev/fd0

-Create base directory to work out of
         mkdir base && cd base

-Grab relevant drivers from drvnet bootdisk (put correct disk in...)
         mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
         mkdir drvnet && cd drvnet
         cp /mnt/floppy/modules.cgz ./modules.cgz
         cp /mnt/floppy/modinfo ./modinfo
         cp /mnt/floppy/modules.dep ./modules.dep
         cp /mnt/floppy/pcitable ./pcitable
         umount /mnt/floppy
         gzip -d < modules.cgz | cpio -i --make-directories
         cd ../

-Work with bootnet.img bootdisk
         mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
         mkdir initrd-mod
         cp /mnt/floppy/initrd.img ./initrd.img.orig.gz
         gzip -d < initrd.img.orig.gz > initrd.img.change_me
         mkdir loop
         mount -t ext2 -o loop initrd.img.change_me loop
         cd loop/modules
         mkdir ../../modules-change_me
         cp * ../../modules-change_me
         cd ../../modules-change_me
         for file in *; do cp $file $file-orig; done
         gzip -d < modules.cgz | cpio -i --make-directories

         # 2.4.7-10BOOT gets created
         cd 2.4.7-10BOOT
         rm tulip.o pcnet32.o
         cp $base_dir/drvnet/2.4.7-10BOOT/eeproo1000.o .
         cd ../

         # edit module-info
         # (removed stanzas for pcnet32 & tulip)
         # (added stanza for  eepro1000)
         # (can be found in base/drvnet/module_info

         # edit pcitable

         # edit modules.dep
         # (not needed for me)

         rm modules.cgz
         find 2.4.7-10BOOT | cpio -o -H crc | gzip -9 > modules.cgz
         cd ../../
         umount loop
         # new initrd to floppy
         gzip -9 < initrd.img-change_me > initrd.img.new.gz
         cp -f initrd.img.new.gz /mnt/floppy/initrd.img
         umount /mnt/floppy

Then add the line below in your kickstart.

> device scsi aacraid --opts aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0A,0x1028,0x011B

to get it to pick up the hard disks.