[nflug] RAID

Corey Reichle coreyreichle at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 09:49:25 EST 2008

Build the RAID0 devices, then use assemble those into a RAID1.

Use fdisk to create partions on the disks, of type "Linux RAID"

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 /dev/{fill in the components}
mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=0 /dev/{fill in the components}
mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level=1 /dev/md{0,1}

Afterwards, use mdadm -A to assemble the arrays after reboot.  I don't know how to make them auto assemble yet, I think RHEL5 does it, but not sure.  Ubuntu does, just haven't read into it too much.  I generally use hardware RAID...

Read through the man page for mdadm.  There are a lot of tuning options, such as chunk size, # of devices, # of spares, et al.