[nflug] Splitting large mp3 files

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Dec 26 02:35:11 EST 2008

I have an audio version of a book in the form of one 11+ hour mp3 file.
This file is difficult to manage and my stand-alone player gives up
after about 2 hours.

I'd like to break the file into one hour chunks.  How do I do that?

I tried loading it into audacity (which took 15 minutes).  I figured I
could select one section at a time and save it to its own file.  I think
I was able to select a section, but I couldn't find any "Save selection
to file" option.

Apparently, kubuntu hardy doesn't come with an audacity documentation
package,
so the help function doesn't work.  I'm going to try to find it on the web.

I found a utility called mp3split, but could not find a deb that would
install (found one for it, but not for its library) and could not
compile it from source.

Normally, I would just load the whole thing, chop it down to one section
and save as. In this case though, that would take around 3 hours just
for repeated loading of the original file.

Any ideas?

TIA

Joe