[nflug] Virtualization

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Dec 15 15:10:19 EST 2008

virtualization just plain rocks, end of.

Why? Lets see.

1. Hardware transparency! No need for whether you have kernel modules
loaded, latest drivers, etc.. Can take a windows vm from box to box and
the hardware does not change cause its virtual.
2. Nice way to keep old stuff running. I have my old phpaga (great app)
which does all my invoicing, is php4 based with mysql, pear and a bunch
of other things. This thing was a COMPLETE pain in the ass to install
and after becoming somewhat proficient in vm's, I suggested to the
developer, why not make a vm out of an install, this way all you need to
do is setup a new database. I took my old FC4 box and made a vm out of
it, just for my invoicing app. Which I run on what I call my application
server, which fires up and shuts down the vm via crons and does backups
as well.
3. snapshots. wanna make a change and not sure of the ramifications?
take a quick one second snapshot (with  extremely small footprint) that
if the change was not good, can revert the snapshot in seconds right
back to where you originally were.
4. backups. tar em up.
5. read-only (see below)

on and on, the experienced can see the possibilities unfolding. I just
bid on a job where it will be to take 11 old ass hodge podge (like 6
different distros and windows) and create 1 thin client server and 1
virtual machine server (running the free vmware server). This wall in
one whack, all workstations still running ancient hardware will be
upgraded and running the latest and greatest ubuntu and then from within
the thin client, the will access their windows xp vm's via terminal
service under their ubuntu desktops. no ups's needed, they can only log
off windows (which are read-only too, data gets written to network
shares (samba) that get scanned nightly from clam under the Linux samba
shares. windows is read-only itself, no need for anti-virus).

Sorry for the babble, just busy but wanted to chime in.