[nflug] Meetings

Tom Reid tgreid at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:29:29 EDT 2008

Hi Joe and all,

I am still at ITT Tech and can make space/resources available.  Although I
couldn't make the meeting(s) there, we apparently also have Trocaire
available (thanks to whoever set that up).  Our need seems to be less about
space available and more about commitment--people(volunteers!) to keep
things moving month to month.  If we have events and subjects planned
further in advance, we will probably have better turnout and more
involvement.  For the near future, I am willing to help with meetings (with
the incentive that ITT "encourages" its instructors to do this kind of thing
for 'professional development' and 'community involvement' !).  However, I
won't (can't, don't have that much free time) do it by myself.

But first a request for some background.  Mark (Bob?) and any other of the
original or past organizers/leaders, can you give us some history,
specifically whether NFLUG has any organizing documents (charter?  founding
statement?), whether there were ever formal officers, elections, etc?  Or
did you just do what you could in your spare time?  Having several
(committed/Elected!) people share the load is better than one or two, and
having ongoing recognition for those currently carrying the load can
help until the next "election" when maybe some others volunteer to take the
lead for a while...

Maybe some disagree about the need for structure - comments?

Thanks, Tom