[nflug] Samba

Robert Wolfe robertwolfe at localnet.com
Thu Aug 7 16:40:14 EDT 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008 16:07:57 Darin Perusich wrote:
> Can you give an example of what you're trying accomplish?
>
> Robert Wolfe wrote:
> >> What specifically are you trying to do with group permissions,
> >> restrict/grant access?
> >
> > Correct.

Basically, we have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server file server set up on our
network.  Each department has it's own group set up and each user can be in
one or more department.  Each department has its own folder set up on the
file server.  So, for instance, our billing department can only access the
billing folder, but not the Systems folder, whereas the Systems department
(where I work, has access to the Systems folder and every other folder).
There are also departments that overlap, too.  For example, our networking
department's folder is shared by Systems and Networking, but no one else.

I know with Windows 2000, I can assign multiple groups to each user; what I
want to do here is be able to do the same thing with Samba -- both with and
without MySQL-based authentication.