[nflug] Samba Authentication & User Accounts

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Aug 6 20:16:56 EDT 2008

I'm just gonna throw out a few things here to hopefully help and get you
on your way.
1. A unix account does not need a home and also does not need login
(shell) access. I've never used the commands or gui to do so, I usually
just edit /etc/passwd and in there you can blank the home and set the
login shell to say /sbin/nologin. Poke around in the man pages or use
some gui to set.
2. As far as the groups go, I usually edit /etc/groups but again, you
can use guis or commands. The groups are up to you. Just always
remember, the samba permissions can and will NEVER override the unix
permissions.
3. With the unix accounts created, you can use "smbpasswd -a username"
to add them to samba. Read the man on smbpasswd.
Hope this helps get you started.