[nflug] Subversion/Apache SSL

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Fri Apr 4 07:18:53 EDT 2008

Ryan Slomiany wrote:
> hi everyone.
>
> I've set up subversion through https
> followed the Ubuntu instructions
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Subversion
>
> my IDE notices it and i can check in/check out, but
> doesnt prompt for a password when i enter:
>
> $ svn co http://hostname/svn/myproject myproject
> --username user_name
>
> any suggestions?

Setting up an svn server for authentication usually just requires 1)
setting the apache server config to the correct htpasswd file and 2)
populating the entries in this file with the usernames that you want to
allow.  It seems that the Ubuntu documentation covers this, but I
haven't tried the exact steps that they mention.  There could be an
error there.

Have you read the section in the "bean book" on setting up a server for
http auth?  This is usually a good reference point for all things svn.
The page on setting up http auth is here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06s04.html

On a related note, if you have a choice in the matter you might want to
try using "git" instead of subversion.  I converted my current projects
to git a few months ago, and I've become convinced that it's a *much*
better way of doing source code management than the svn/cvs model.

Good luck!

Justin