[nflug] Bridging two Subnets (Linux Router Project?)

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 19 09:09:09 EDT 2007

1. Broadcast traffic with DHCP is almost nothing, even if you set up
leases to expire every hour
(if you work through the math, assume 4 packets every 1/2 hour[it's not
that much] per pc, * 200 pc's, * 1k/ packet....One print job to a
printer is the same number of packets as a years worth of DHCP)
2. If you have a windows network, because of the way netbios operates,
you have broadcast happy pc's all over the place anyway.
3. Get some kind of server based AV suite.  This will force virus scan
software on every machine, and will scan everything coming to the server.
4. If you are truly worried about number 3, and don't want people to
'plug in and get an address', limit the access to the dhcp by MAC.  With
static addresses, someone can plug in, set up a static address, and use
the network without your say-so. (Don't assume nobody knows how to set
up a static address.  Security through obscurity is never a good idea).
By limiting the MAC addresses, you accomplish 2 things: first, it is a
positive step for security, rather than hoping nobody finds out about
your cunning plan. Second, you still can maintain control from a central
workstation, rather than having to travel to 200 machines to institute a
change.

However, you still need to split up your network.  200 machines is a
little big for any one broadcast domain.  Basically, you should be able
to plug in a second network card into a server, allow ip forwarding
between the two, and you now have your problem solved.  In Windows, it's
pretty easy, and depending on your admin tools(I like Webmin...yes I'm
a wimp), it's not too hard in linux.. There are also 'dedicated'
solutions that combine this with firewalling and other solutions. Check
out Smoothwall (.iso disk) or Shorewall (front end for iptables) which
help make setting up multi homed cpu's pretty easy.