[nflug] ISP troubleshooting from a TW employee's point of view

Tony E - Jaraeth jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
Sun Sep 16 21:17:19 EDT 2007

Daniel V wrote:
> I can understand the customer's point of view.
>
> I've asked management about some of these concerns (I
> mentioned this forum).
>
> I talk to quite a few of my teammates and many either
> use GNU/Linux or they actively use it at home.
>
> I actually agree with you that people should be
> trained in GNU/Linux, but then that brings up the
> question of how to justify training them, putting them
> on a team, and opening a phone bank. How many
> GNU/Linux geeks are going to call ?

Not as many as Windows/Mac users... albeit probably due to the fact that
to run Linux, you still need a desire to learn to manage the OS than
just a simple "point & click" OS with menu's that do everything.
Windows is still one of the better "point, click & use" OS', that and
Apple OS imo... but, the ability to run an .exe and have it install your
favorite program, isn't truly all there yet.  Thus, and my point, you
*will* have fewer calls...

However, at the ISP I used to be a tech for in Fredonia, became known as
Linux friendly, and many people would call up and buy our ISP service,
just for the fact alone that they knew we supported it, yet, they rarely
ever called in.

IMO, it shouldn't be necessary to have a separate call queue, just make
sure there's some documentation or notes for Linux.  9 times out of 10
most Linux users forget their ISP's DNS servers (for /etc/resolv.conf),
or local phone numbers/dhcp settings, and need nothing more.

Ciao,

   ~ Tony E.