[nflug] RHEL 5 Server & Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at shatterit.com
Fri Oct 12 09:46:23 EDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
Robert Meyer <meyer_rm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, sounds to me like the install put in the non-SMP kernel.  If you can get the package manager to install a package like "kernel-2.x.x-SMP", you should get both cores showing up.  It is also possible that you have both kernels in your boot but you're selecting the non-SMP boot.  Either way, it's probably a kernel issue that's easily fixed.

Unfortunately, the only kernels available for me to download from RHN are:

	kernel-PAE-2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
	kernel-PAE-devel-2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
	kernel-xen-2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
	kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-8.1.14.el5

...as I thought about your suggestion initially.  I've thought about possibly looking to rpmfind.net for this particular kernel, but will go about that later on this morning or sometime this weekend.  I don't need this now, but the extra processing power would be nice when spending a rainy weekend compiling those 1,000,000 or so lines of code that Firefox has :P