[nflug] Linux Certification

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 8 12:24:42 EDT 2007

In defense of certifications (although the 'licensing' idea is probably
better) I knew one guy who though certifications were useless.  After
all, he had years of experience and thus, knew everything.  I asked him
about several network situations, and how he would set up the network in
the different environments.  The answer was the exact same network in
each case. Basically because that is all he knew.

The better certs try to expose the tech to different situations, and
show how that vendor's product can be used to deal with a variety of
different situations.  It doesn't guarantee he/she is an expert, but at
least they have been exposed to the difference between a 10 person shop,
and a 10,000 user enterprise, and some of the issues in each.

Having said that, if the dude was a plumber 2 weeks ago, last week he
went to a boot camp, and now he's certified, I probably would give him
an interview, but I wouldn't expect much.