[nflug] Linux Certification

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Mon Oct 8 08:07:57 EDT 2007

I think it depends on how far along you are in your career. When I was
trying to establish a career, certifications *really* helped. Sets you apart
from the crowd. And taught me a lot that I hadn't learned elsewhere... So
all the studying was pretty valuable. But now that I've been doing this for
8+ years, I find that I am no longer interested in certs - either pursuing
new ones or renewing the ones I have. At this point, I think my experience
proves that I know what I'm doing, which is what the certs are supposed to
do when you don't have the experience to fall back on.

I'd be curious to hear what others think on this, too. I'm self employed and
perhaps I don't have a handle on what's important these days in a resume,
but if I were hiring I'd look for experience first (volunteer, if nothing
else, even something like helping people at an installfest) and
certification second if the experience were not very lengthy. Only once in
the past 5 years have I been asked by my clients about certification, but I
am often asked: Have you done this kind of thing before? And if I can answer
confidently that, yes, I have... It's a done deal.

Chris

  _____