[nflug] RHEL 5

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at shatterit.com
Fri Oct 5 08:06:55 EDT 2007

Good morning.

Well, I decided to take the plunge and spend the $60.00 to purchase the full
academic license for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 during and I am going to try
and install the 64 bit version on my machine at home.  I am anxious to try
out the Xen virtualizer to see how it compares to the other virtualization
technologies that I have been lecturing about over the past couple of weeks
in my Virtualization Technology class at Trocaire.

I currently have Ubuntu 7.04 on my new machine at home, but since I have a
paid contract for a year with Red Hat, I am thinking I will just go ahead
and install that instead.

I am amazed, too, that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 comes in a desktop release
as well.  Basically the same as the version I bought (the server version),
but without the development utilities and server applications/daemons.  It
also costs half as much, too, with the academic license (but, it looks like
my server license also covers the desktop version as well).

Oh well, enough babbling for now.  Have a great weekend everyone!