[nflug] Firewalls

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Tue Nov 20 16:54:33 EST 2007

Well, iptables is the firewall / router. It wouldn't have to do much routing
in this case (no need for it to forward packets to inside servers... LVS
will do that). It would allow a packet and then send it to a virtual IP
which would controlled by LVS. LVS then looks at its table of servers and
uses an algorithm of your choosing to make a routing decision (round robin,
least loaded server, etc.). It sends it to a server, the server processes
the request and responds directly back to the client. It is really quite
elegant and... It's fast as hell!  :-)

LVS by itself is not a router, though. It needs an interface on the same
network as the servers, so it doesn't "route" as much as it "redirects".