[nflug] Nagios and old Dell boxes

Robert Wolfe robertwolfe at localnet.com
Fri Nov 9 08:55:09 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:23:05 -0800 (PST)
Robert Meyer <meyer_rm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Secondly, I've been trying to figure out what to use for monitoring all of the machines and a UPS.  I've finally decided on Nagios for the task.  I'd like to find out from folks out there what they had to go through to get Nagios running and monitoring.  Most specifically, I have a UPS that seems to only be able to give information about critical events through traps, not through SNMP polling.  Can I get Nagios to interface with snmptrapd and be able to properly deal with traps?  Most monitoring systems seem to want to poll for their status information.  We're currently using "What's Up" on a Windoze box.  We'd like to make that box go away, hence the monitoring system update.

Bob, are you wanting to monitor UPSes or PDUs?  I currently have a plugin for Nagios that will allow you to monitor APC PowerNet PDUs.  I also have a small application based on that plugin that I am designing called PowerSentinel which will monitor any number of PDUs and update their statuses on the console screen in real time.  It is planned that the program will be available for both Windows and Linux (man I love cross-compilers <G>).

--
     Robert Wolfe (robertwolfe at localnet.com) | Systems Administrator
       LocalNet Corp | Williamsville, NY | http://www.localnet.com