[nflug] [Fwd: public emails]

Tony E - Jaraeth jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Nov 5 20:43:52 EST 2007

They make that almost sound like cryptology, but it's not.  They're
converting plain text to HTML "special characters", unicode.  Try using
a text editor and type: <alt>122 on your number pad, and you should get
"z", the same as &#122;  See webmonkey's reference on special char's:

http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/

You'll see that the @ symbol is &#64; and lowercase letters a-z are:
&#97;- &#122; resp.  It will obfuscate HTML code so that email addresses
aren't clearly visible in the HTML itself, but if there are any spiders,
bots or harvesters that automatically translate (and many do)... you're
not doing anything but providing the email address in clear text after
HTML translation.

Folks interested in email obfuscation & avoiding the noid of spam
harvesters on the web, may be keen to check out an oldie, but a good
article nonetheless:

http://www.csarven.ca/hiding-email-addresses

Ciao,

  Tony E.