[nflug] tw rr screwjob

K Olkowski wpos2 at roadrunner.com
Thu May 31 13:09:08 EDT 2007

I'm semantically intolerant today, as I am most days.

ISN'T A MAC A PC (PERSONAL COMPUTER)?  Since when did Microsoft co-opt
the PC moniker?  Which word in "personal computer" necessitates both
Intel architecture and a Microsoft operating system in its definition?
Does an AMD device fit into this description neatly?  What does that
make a computing device running Linux - a breadbox?  I'm so frustrated
by the ignorance being propagated on this subject.  Similar feelings of
anger surface when someone refers to media in VHS format as "video."

So, to sum up:
A PC is a personal computer.  It is a computer for personal use.  There
are many types of personal computer.
-	"Dell Optiplex" is a subset of "personal computer," based on an Intel
processor and IBM architecture, regardless of operating system.  (I'll
even go so far as to say that it typically runs Windows.)
-	"Penguin Computing Tempest 2150 Workstation" is a subset of "personal
computer," based on an AMD processor and IBM architecture, regardless of
operating system, tho it happens to come pre-installed with Red Hat
Enterprise, SUSE Enterprise, or Fedora.
-	"Imac" (cutesy spellings piss me off too) is a subset of "personal
computer," based on a Motorola processor and Apple architecture,
regardless of operating system, tho it happens to come pre-installed
with Mac OS 10. (Feel free to correct me about the actual version, and
yes: Roman numerals piss me off too.)
Installing another operating system on any of these "personal
computers," or indeed formatting the hard drive (assuming 1 hard drive
per "personal computer") on any, or booting any with a live CD, will not
make them any more or less a "personal computer."  And, altho the
"Wintel" (R) "personal computer" seems to be the most popular paradigm
of such, none of these types are a default "personal computer."

(I can't remember that far back: in the days when Beta was obtainable,
of VHS and Beta, was one typically referred to lazily as "video?")

<snip>