[nflug] emails

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Wed May 30 08:29:11 EDT 2007

When mailmain sends outgoing mail to the membership it passes messages
off to postfix which then handles delivery to over 200+ recipients.
Postfix sends the message to each individual addresses in sequential
order. When postfix has a problem connecting to some smtp server as it's
working it's way down the list of addresses it times out after 30
seconds before continuing on. If it hits another address where it can't
connect to the MX then that's another 30 seconds, etc, etc. Also, if the
remote mail server doesn't talk smtp to the RFC's, i.e. replies to smtp
commands incorrectly we'll disconnect which takes a few seconds. The
same goes for incoming mail, which then becomes outgoing. All message
run though spamassassin, anti-virus, and the postfix UCE controls which
I have jacked up.

I usually go though and remove these addresses every few weeks. These
addresses are usually members who have setup their own mail servers and
then take them down what ever reason. I just unsubscribed 3 addresses in
the course of composing this messages.

When I send a messages to my gmail or verizon account from the LUG mail
server it's in my inbox by the time I click refresh. I would call this
lighting fast but it doesn't has to do all the same processing as the
nflug list does. A 5 minute wait may be a slight inconvenience but I
wouldn't call it excessive. The only way to "fix this" is for other
people to fix their broken crap, or maybe they should just get a gmail
account ;-).

I hope this explanation as quelled any FUD about the setup of the nflug
mail server.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator