[nflug] tw rr screwjob

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue May 29 21:51:02 EDT 2007

Stephen Burke wrote:
> Ok, I just got the wonderful news from tw that they're apparently done
> screwing up the erstwhile adelphia network and want me to activate the
> roadrunner account that's supposed to replace the old adelphia one.
> When you go to the activation page, however, there's all this bs about
> needing internet exploder to use the site and an invitation to
> download the latest M$ crap.
>
> No, thanks.
>
> I tried configuring konqueror to identify itself as ie6 for that site,
> but still got the same complaint. I suppose I could use an xp box just
> for activation, but I've gotten to the point where it really sickens
> me to use ie for any reason whatsoever.
>
> Just on principle, I really don't want to submit to this kind of
> strongarm bullshit.
>
> Does anyone know a way around this, WITHOUT caving in to bb?
>
> Thanks,
> S.

What exactly are you activating? If you activating a new modem, you can
call them to "provision" the modem, so it stops the loop back, they can
do it from their end using the mac address of the modem. If this was an
existing account, you shouldn't need to go through all this. I activate
literally hundreds of new accounts and I'm very happy to tell them that
I DO NOT have windows and/or IE. Also, I'm not going to do wine or
vmware or whatever else it takes to get freaking IE working so they can
do whatever they do with active x or whatever the F they wanna work
with. And if they tell me that they do not support Linux, I promptly
tell them that I'll use the competition because they will work with me,
you'll soon get up a level in support and some real help. STOP BEING
PUSHED AROUND PEOPLE! TELL THEM YOU USE LINUX! How crazy has this become
that we let these people insist on using the most insecure, virus prone
POS and tell us that that's what they support??!! SPEAK UP! You'll get
heard, they don't want to loose their 50 a month. For dsl, I found a
nice little trick to stop the loop back,
http://localhost/verizon/redirect.htm in your browser and a little click
of a button on that page will stop the redirect. This is what they do
from their end and I'm sure RR has something similar, but of course,
they want you to put in some POS cd and install some bullshit toolbar,
wtf ever else. Can you tell I've done this a few times? And like you,
don't like the bs? So, speak up people! Tell them you use Linux!