That's the reason (WAS Re: [nflug] feisty, indeed)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 12:26:53 EDT 2007

More info needed. Are you going to make room for an ntfs partition on
this drive and then xp install to that?

My desired end result is a 30 GB or so partition (or even a partition on a USB disk) that is NTFS that I can then install to.  I created a partititon in Linux for NTFS - booted into XP install disk and chose the previosuly created partition - the install seemed to ignore my request and wanted to go after hda1 (the ntfs partition was like 9 on hda since I have a bunch of 20 GB partitions I add and remove to LVMS.

I BELIEVE that I can use some type of load chaining or map command in GRUB to trick windows install into thinking the partition I point to (hd0,9) is really (hd0,0) or something.  That way it will show up as C:\ in the XP installer - almsot all the docs online assume you have windows installed First!

Bleah

JJ