[nflug] Disk cloning

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Mar 29 14:53:16 EDT 2007

Although I've never used gparted live cd or used it for cloning, assuming
that the disk was actually copied, you more than likely simply need to
re-install the boot partition.

It would be helpful to know exactly what is happening when you say "it
didn't boot", but I'd try this:

1. put the cloned hard drive in the machine
2. boot XP off of cd
3. go into the recovery console
4. choose the appropriate windows installation when it lists them (should
only be one)
5. login with administrator password
6. run "fixmbr"
7. run fixboot (for the heck of it)
8. run bootcfg to make sure the boot.ini is pointing to the correct disk
9. profit!

I'd be surprised if gparted is smart enough to update the MBR on it's own..

-Mark