[nflug] Ubuntu on AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

Robert Stockdale IV bobstockdale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:02:30 EDT 2007

Hi all:
  I just installed Ubuntu Edgy on my workstation. It is a newly configured
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ on an Asus M2N32 WS motherboard. I have a PNY nVidia 7600
GS PCIe video card with GLX up and running. Problem is that it does not
respond any where near its potential. In fact it seams slower than the dual
Athlon 1800+ that it is replacing. I chose this mainboard as it has the
PCI-X slot I needed for my Ultra 320 scsi card which is connected to three
36.7 GB U320 drives. I also have twice the Ram as my old workstation not to
mention that it is now 800Mhz Dual channel as opposed to PC2200 DDR. I
checked out /proc/cpuinfo and it reports that the cpu is 1000Mhz. It is
suppose to be 2.4 Ghz. When I move my trackball to wake it, it seems to take
15 to 20 seconds to get a display. The response time on my monitor is
suppose to be 2 to 5 ms.
  Does anyone have any ideas to speed this up? It is frustrating me.

Thank you.
Bob