[nflug] printing

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Mar 28 12:04:42 EDT 2007

Hello All,
  Anyone here know about print queue's? That is to say, how does one
know what the printer is set too? Normally when I setup internet
printing or network printing, I set it up like ipp://ipaddress:631/name
where "name" is the network name of the printer, setup via the printers
interface or web interface of the printer. Or I might print to the
socket with socket://ipaddress:9100. A simple nmap of the ip address
tells me what ports are open, etc.. Normally, I have no problems but
today I sold a client a really nice Ricoh color laserjet ($399) and
setup the socket printing no problem, but when I went to setup his
internet printing, it kept failing and I was suspicious of the queue
name because everything else checked out. I tried the name that was set
on the printer in the printers config interface (web) but it wasnt
working. I poked all through their manuals, etc., still could not see
exactly what the trouble was. So, I called Ricoh (very helpful, got on
the phone right away) and after telling them where I was getting stuck,
the guy said try "printer" for the queue name, and voila, worked no
problem. So I said to the guy, WHY DON'T THEY MAKE THIS CLEAR in the
docs/manual/web interface/whatever??!! And he agreed that it is confusing.
Now, my question is this. I hate when I can't dig under the hood (like
with nmap) and find something out, like what this printer was expecting
as a queue name (there was NOTHING about that queue name in the entire
web interface). Is there a way I could scan (like with nmap) to see what
the device wants the queue named? I have never seen before where it
wasn't the "network" name of the printer, but this one was different.
Any way to check this out so I'm not hunting it down in the future? TIA,
Peter