[nflug] A/B box, anyone?

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 27 17:16:11 EDT 2007

> I never heard of the quicksynergy before.  I thank you for mentioning
> that.  I'm going to check
> it out.
>
> Let us know how things turn out.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Lou

Ok, I'm still in the process of tweaking things like screens waking up
together (two of three currently) and perfect monitor placement (given
cordage limitations), but at the moment I have synergy running happily
between ubuntu edgy (server), elive revolution (client), and BLAG 30k
(client).

I would highly recommend synergy. Perhaps older versions were buggier,
but the current one is sweet. The A/B box (KVM, whatever) always seemed
a bit clunky, and that was only going to give me two machines anyway
(with the box I have). I was even able to emerge synergy in sabayon 3.25
(another system on the server box) which I thought was pretty cool.

I found quicksynergy purely by chance in the edgy synaptic, after my
late night frustration with /etc/synergy.conf in sabayon. Now that it's
working here, I have to go see if I can emerge quicksynergy as well.

The server is the crucial place for the gui, I think, as the clients
only need to know where the server is. I have quicksynergy on the elive
client, too (apparently the .debs are all in order), but while the blag
synaptic had synergy, it didn't have the gui, so I'm just using
"synergyc -f 192.168.0.101" until I can get that one going. I grabbed
the sources for it, but it refuses to build giving me something that
looks like this:

$ make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/qfwfq/download/synergy/quicksynergy/quicksynergy-0.5/src'
source='proc.c' object='proc.o' libtool=no \
DEPDIR=.deps depmode=none /bin/sh ../depcomp \
gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\"
-DPACKAGE=\"quicksynergy\" -DVERSION=\"0.4\" -DHAVE_DIRENT_H=1
-DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_WAIT_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1
-DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1
-DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1
-DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_FORK=1 -DHAVE_VFORK=1 -DHAVE_WORKING_VFORK=1
-DHAVE_WORKING_FORK=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_MALLOC=1
-DHAVE_GETHOSTNAME=1 -DHAVE_MKDIR=1 -I. -I.      -c proc.c
/bin/sh: ../depcomp: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [proc.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/qfwfq/download/synergy/quicksynergy/quicksynergy-0.5/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I haven't actually seen that error before, and everything I've seen on
google about it so far is from guys trying to build stuff from cvs,
which is way beyond me. I could be searching for the wrong thing, of course.

I believe there's a way to start everything at boot time, but first I
just wanted to get it all going. It remains to be seen how long before I
break it ;-).

Thanks,
S.