[nflug] A/B box, anyone?

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 23 11:24:17 EDT 2007

John Nichel wrote:
>>I recently shuffled a couple of machines around here, and I am thinking
>>that one in particular could be much more useful if I could control it
>>from this keyboard and mouse, since the screen is close enough, but
>>switching chairs every time I want to do something will get tedious very
>>quickly.
>>
>>I have an A/B box from a brief experiment a few years ago when I had to
>>connected up to a couple of boxes running win2k and RH 7.2 (maybe more
>>than a few years now ;-)). That setup ended alomst immediately because
>>while I could switch in and out of 2k, the RH 7.2 machine would always
>>lose both mouse and keyboard every time I switched to 2k.
>>
>>I'm done with 2k now (thankfully), so the systems I'd be switching
>>between here would be edgy and pclinuxos 0.93a, though that could change
>>if other distros worked better, or at all.
>>
>>So, before I dive back into the spaghetti, I'm wondering if anyone here
>>has had any successful experience with linux and A/B boxes. Will it
>>work? Are certain distros more friendly with such devices?
>>
>>RH 7.2 was quite a while ago by now, so I'm hoping that maybe things
>>might work better these days, but I'm not sure if anyone even uses them
>>enough anymore to bother fixing that.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>S.
>>

> I've had the same problem you describe with a Belkin KVM switch that I
> purchased in 2004 (brand new).  However, the Black Box KVM switch I'm
> using now doesn't suffer that problem (it is quite a bit more expensive
> than switches like the Belkin though).

I suspected as much on the expense part. Ideally, i was hoping that the
box that didn't work before might work now, but I bought it somewhere on
the web for $20 a few years ago (instead of the $80 one that compusa
tried to sell me, so it's a pretty simple one.

Actually, I only really the the KM part to work, aince I want to be able
to see both Vs at once. Clearly more research is needed here. Fun for
days. ;-)

Thanks for the tips,
S.