[nflug] A/B box, anyone?

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 22 22:36:57 EDT 2007

I recently shuffled a couple of machines around here, and I am thinking
that one in particular could be much more useful if I could control it
from this keyboard and mouse, since the screen is close enough, but
switching chairs every time I want to do something will get tedious very
quickly.

I have an A/B box from a brief experiment a few years ago when I had to
connected up to a couple of boxes running win2k and RH 7.2 (maybe more
than a few years now ;-)). That setup ended alomst immediately because
while I could switch in and out of 2k, the RH 7.2 machine would always
lose both mouse and keyboard every time I switched to 2k.

I'm done with 2k now (thankfully), so the systems I'd be switching
between here would be edgy and pclinuxos 0.93a, though that could change
if other distros worked better, or at all.

So, before I dive back into the spaghetti, I'm wondering if anyone here
has had any successful experience with linux and A/B boxes. Will it
work? Are certain distros more friendly with such devices?

RH 7.2 was quite a while ago by now, so I'm hoping that maybe things
might work better these days, but I'm not sure if anyone even uses them
enough anymore to bother fixing that.

Thanks,
S.