[nflug] Network Issues

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 11:24:53 EDT 2007

I have seen behavior like that before,  typically when sustaining a
high BW connection for long periods of time.  (i.e. seeding a
ubuntu ISO torrent).   It's their way of kicking you off for
monopoizing the connection.

Other possibilities include low/degraded signal on the cable line
causing the modem to loose sync.  Call time warner and ask them to
send out a tech to do a signal level test, and explain to them that
you get bumped off  frequently and that the modem requires frequent
resetting.  describe to them the lights going off on the modem.
don't just say connection dies, otherwise they'll just blame it on
your computer, as they assume everyone has windows and is virus
infected.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/KWGR614.aspx-
> Open Source Version) and after one DOA got a working one. Hooked
> it up
> and
> it has been working great (i think). Lately we have been loosing
> our
> internet connection completely, I end up turning both router and
> cable modem
> off then on again. This usually fixes it for a day or two, but
> then it
> happens again.
>
> Yesterday I had to do it four times and when I was updating a
> fresh install
> of Ubuntu some weird download issues arose.  The download would
> begin and
> continue up to around 500kb/s but then at around the 20sec mark
> it would
> fall down to 0kb/s and then drop connection. If I attempted the
> download a
> couple times it would continue from where it left off (if the
> software
> supported it) and then eventually finish. Also sometimes the
> downloads would
> get past the 20sec mark and finish, sometimes not. Using the same
> router I
> have had GB's uploaded to my computer without dropping the
> connection.
>
> Does this sound like the internet connection or the router? I
> have had
> problems with the connection even with the old router, just not
> as bad. I
> don't know if the service is declining (rough spot?) or the
> router is crap.
>
> --
> Frank
> Shenanigans!!