[nflug] Network Issues

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Mar 16 11:14:59 EDT 2007

Franklin Kumro Jr wrote:
> Road Runner is cable line...but either way sounds like service now :(
> its really aggravating!!
>
> On 3/16/07, *eric* <eric at bootz.us <mailto:eric at bootz.us>> wrote:
>
>     I have noticed a great deal of activity in the south towns Verizon
>     trucks everywhere..
>     no dropped connections out my way just very slow connections at times,
>     maybe they are doing some kind of mass up grade hoping everyone will
>     switch to FIOS.
>
>     On another note with Verizon... doesn't the Government own the POTS
>     lines??  If so, why does Verizon take the POTS lines out when they
>     install FIOS and claim ownership of the line?
>
>     Cyber Source wrote:
>
>     >Franklin Kumro Jr wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >>Guys,
>     >>
>     >>I am going to try to explain whats been happening as best as I
>     can and
>     >>hopefully someone can give me some pointers. Currently I am
>     using Time
>     >>Warner Road Runner internet service, and since they took over
>     its been
>     >>crappy for me. I purchased a new router (
>     >>http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/KWGR614.aspx
>     <http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/KWGR614.aspx>
>     >>- Open Source Version) and after one DOA got a working one.
>     Hooked it
>     >>up and it has been working great (i think). Lately we have been
>     >>loosing our internet connection completely, I end up turning both
>     >>router and cable modem off then on again. This usually fixes it
>     for a
>     >>day or two, but then it happens again.
>     >>
>     >>Yesterday I had to do it four times and when I was updating a fresh
>     >>install of Ubuntu some weird download issues arose.  The download
>     >>would begin and continue up to around 500kb/s but then at around the
>     >>20sec mark it would fall down to 0kb/s and then drop connection.
>     If I
>     >>attempted the download a couple times it would continue from
>     where it
>     >>left off (if the software supported it) and then eventually finish.
>     >>Also sometimes the downloads would get past the 20sec mark and
>     finish,
>     >>sometimes not. Using the same router I have had GB's uploaded to my
>     >>computer without dropping the connection.
>     >>
>     >>Does this sound like the internet connection or the router? I
>     have had
>     >>problems with the connection even with the old router, just not as
>     >>bad. I don't know if the service is declining (rough spot?) or the
>     >>router is crap.
>     >>
>     >>--
>     >>Frank
> [...]
Ah, that could be something entirely different since it's a shared
resource. See if you can notice that it's at a particular time of day
(like when the kiddies come home from school).
I had a very strange problem once where I was getting an address from a
rogue DHCP server on his cable line INSTEAD of from his cable modem! It
was a guy who lived across the street from the Library on Grand Island.
They had a DHCP server that was spewing addresses back down the cable
line and every now and then he would actually get an address from them
(including route) and then connect via them, albeit a really crap
connection. I also had something like this happen with someone's T1 box
that was only assigned 1 IP but was getting addresses assigned via
connections to the box, never looked into that one further but the Grand
Island one I did and reported it and they straightened it out. Check
your routes and make sure you have something that can differentiate
(like not 192.168.1.1). Case in point, I had a guy who put in a new
wireless router at home and set it up for WEP and then said, hey my
Linux laptops can't connect to the new router, so I said, did you put in
the WEP key (previously had no WEP) and he said no I didn't know how, so
I said and you thought the Linux laptops would just know they key and
get out right. So he emails me later that day and said, it's ok now, the
Linux laptops got on. I said, well the problem didn't just fix itself
and ran him through some checks, did a route, yep getting 192.168.1.1.
So I said, you must be connecting via your neighbor and as all routers
ship with that address, we couldn't tell by that. So I had him start a
ping to his gateway and then go and unplug the router, guess what, his
pings kept going, he was connecting via his neighbor. Anyway, g2g but
wanted to give you guys some humor of some of the shit I see on a daily
basis.