[nflug] Open File Backup

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 08:00:54 EDT 2007

That is the strength of Domino.  You can set it to replicate when/where/and how you want it. Normally it is used to coordinate databases with Domino servers, but you can schedule a replication to an empty directory.  Then, in a script, have your normal backup software (tar, dump, amanda, whatever) do the backup to some removable device, then delete the replica databases. Next time replication is scheduled, Domino sees an empty directory, and copies the entire set of databases you specified again.
For timing purposes, I would have Domino do the backups at, say 1:00AM each day, and then have tar go at it at 3:00 AM.

Just make sure your standard (not Domino Aware) backup software tries to backup the databases that Domino is actively using (like mail, etc) or things get really farked up.

And do try to get the actual training on Domino.  Yes,it's expensive, but there is a huge amount to learn, and you can cover quite a bit in 3-5 days. (I don't think anyone in Buffalo trains reliably on Domino, but I'm sure Toronto or NYC have training centers that can do the trick).

Richard Hubbard
Technology Solutions Inc