[nflug] You gotta be kidding me (could this be any EASIER)

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Mar 12 09:05:57 EDT 2007

Sorry John, had to steal your subject line a bit.

Ok, Ubuntu has made Linux just plain stupid easy now with Feisty. I have
installed our latest Feisty tweak on 5 laptops since I made the tweak
about a week ago. In each case except one, all the wireless got
recognized automatically and network-manager just plain worked. In fact,
I haven't had even 1 hardware glitch on either of these completely
different 5 laptops with the exception of 1 Acer with a Broadcom
wireless nic. It didn't show up in network manager so I looked in the
logs and seen it was complaining about no firmware for it. Having played
with these broadcoms many times, I knew there was a package called
bcm43xx-cutter or some such that extracts the firmware from windows
drivers for the card to then be placed in /lib/firmware, of which was
all manual before. This time, apt-getted the package, on install it
popped up a box and asked me if I would like for it to GO GET the
firmware for me! So I said, sure why not, it went and downloaded the
proper firmware for the card, put it in place and viola! All good.