[nflug] You gotta be kidding me (could this be any better)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 23:38:23 EDT 2007

OK I've never needed to do this so all of you may be years ahead of me - if so great - if not then you may want to try it too...

My video card died AGAIN!.  Anyway I was watching some torrented tv shows with the Ms.  and all of a suddent Blink - nada.

So today I ran to walmart grabbed the cheapest dual output video card (PCI in fact hah) and ran home - I knew the box was oK it started with NO video card just fine.

Before I opened the box though I said - "Hey Everything is running just fine - why do I need a video card cant I get Xapps to run on my windows machine?"

After an hour or less of fiddling with Xming and -ac and Xforwarding and Putty.  I started an Xterm from command line on the linux box and it started on my windows desktop - from there I ran iceweasel, bittorretn client, EVEN VMPLAYER - running windows 98 WITH sound and using the Linux box (locally) as a mapped Samba drive to read my MS Money files - My head hurts justt thinking about the layers of redirection going on there!!!

No more vnc window to keep open while I'm working on the linux box but want to do "private" browsing on my linux box - have the iceweasel browser open right there!  If I didn't want to play a game on this box I would never need a video card ever again!

I think this box is going to get the <$20 PCI video card and become a true server.  Then I can spend the money on a new gaming rig that can dual boot.  Man Xforwarding gave this old box a whole new life!!!!

JJ

Now I just need to figure out how to get a gdm desktop forwarded to my local machine then my wife can still use linux ( asking her to start apps from a command line may be a little too much