[nflug] Apache Authentication Question

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Fri Mar 9 14:38:08 EST 2007

Justin Bennett wrote:

> <Location />
> AllowOverride AuthConfig
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /path_to_file
> require valid-user
> Order deny,allow
> Allow from all
> </Location>
>
> What I'm looking to do is a little more advanced. I have certain users
> I'd like to restrict to certain users to only connect from a certain
> subnet.
>
> so it would be like
>
> user bill allow from all
>
> user tom allow from 192.168.1.

I'd start by familiarizing yourself with the mod_access documentation as
it covers access controls which are usually base in IP, hostname,
subnet, and environment variables.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_access.html

Because this is a password protect site why would you need to also
restrict access by subnets also? You could just do "Require user bill
tom" and only those users would be allowed access. Of create a group
file, set AuthGroupFile and then "Require group bill_tom".

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Email: darinper at cognigencorp.com