[nflug] Resizing Windows and Linux partitions on a dual boot notebook

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Mar 9 02:38:26 EST 2007

John G.  wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>
>> I'm just getting used to XP.  I thought I gave it plenty of disk space
>> to play with, but it promptly filled up 25GB of my 100GB drive.  I need
>> to give it some space (probably another 15GB) from my Linux partition
>> (the rest of the drive).
>>
>> I think what I need to do is boot up a Linux livecd and use QTParted and
>> ntfsresize to fix things, but this is my primary computer with
>> everything on it and I need to get it right the first try.
>>
>> I have an old knoppix liveCD (3.1 something) and a DSL liveCD which
>> isn't very current either.  Are they good enough, or do I need to get
>> something newer?
>>
>> Can someone point me to or give me clear step-by-step instructions on
>> how to do this?
>>
>> I'm on kubuntu dapper on a relatively new notebook pc.
>>

>> TIA
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Hi, Joe.
>
> IMHO, the way to go is the GParted LiveCD
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828
>
> Less than 50MB for the ISO: burn to a CD and you'll have the best
> partitioning tool no money can buy!
>
> I can point you to a good vid of how to install Linux that has a section
> on using QParted:
> http://www.tomlinux.ca/
>
> Here is a web-page guide on how to install Mepis linux which has a
> section on using QParted. It works somewhat similarly to GParted, but
> not as well as GParted  This guide is very thorough:
> http://www.mepisguides.com/Mepis-6/Install/resize/Mepis-Install-Resize.html
>
> Here is the web-page documentation to using  GParted, using screenshots:
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/livecd/main/livecd.htm
>

> As a question though --How long did it take to get to using 25GB with
> WinXP?   That seems like a lot.  WinXP is very sloppy and will fill most
> any space if you let it. Like dandelions or Kudzu or Japanese knotweed!
> There are ways of setting things up with a few partitions to keep it
> from dying in it's own manure after a year. Say so, if you want more
> info on my ideas in this regard.
>
> Example: I have XP on my dual-boot Toshiba Satellite 80GB hard disk in
> hda1 @ 11GB, with hda2 a 10 GB ntfs partition to store files XP
> generates such as  downloads, save web pages and other documents, pix,
> etc. Keep data & OS separate when possible, y'know?   Resist the poor
> design of keeping things in My Documents on C:
>
>  Then I have a 2GB ntfs partition on hda3 for the windows "virtual
> memory" or "page-file."  Like a linux-swap partition. Keeping it off C:
> means less fragmentation, and easier defragmentation of the other 2
> partitions.
>
> Partitions hda 5 - hda12 are for Linux.
>
> Hope the above links help!
>
> --John
>
> .

Wow!  I'll have to digest all of that.  In 98se I tried to keep program
and data separate and in Linux until some user group members said it
worked way too slow.  Then I sort of gave up.  maybe I'll try again.  It
certainly makes more sense logically and logistically.

Sure, I'd like more info on how to set up Windoze.  XP is a lot
different than 98 (off list, of course).

The machine is brand new as far as usage goes.  I do have Vcom System
Suite installed which makes backups of everything including checkpoints,
but I just moved the backups onto the usb drive.  I haven't even
(purchased and) installed Dragon (dictation) and Maximizer (contacts) yet.

I plan to do as much as possible on Linux, but there are so many cool
cheap programs for XP that are not on Linux.  Of course, I'll see what
wine will do for me.  I didn't have much luck with (very) old versions,
but it looks a lot better now.

Thanks.

Joe