[nflug] samba woes

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 16:41:20 EST 2007

You are still not saying HOW YOUR ARE CHANGING your password
saying "webmin" tells me nothing as I donno what that is doing.

If you use "passwd" from an intereactive session, this won't  do
anything for samba,  you'd ALSO need to change the password in
samba via smbpasswd.  If you are changing the passwod from a
windows client  the unix side will ONLY be changed if you have
passwd sync and passwd chat PROPERLY setup.  read the smb.conf man
page and read up on passwd chat, and enable debugging to see where
it is failing...

--- eric <eric at bootz.us> wrote:

> one samba server is the file server
> the other two are just sharing folders for me and no one else, my
> user
> account is on all three seperatly, and since I was the first user
> created for each my UID is 1000, I changed my UID on the file
> server to
> 1500 just to see if that would make a difference, but it did
> not...
> again none of the servers depend on each other for anything and
> they are
> all in the same workgroup.
>
> it is mind boggling to me... I thought maybe pam or shadow
> passwords was
> doing something funny, but on both samba servers I cannot change
> my
> password without samba failing me a connection, I must use my old
> password for samba.
>
> I would understand that maybe linux to samba password sync would
> not
> work on one server, but  two makes me think that something else
> is going
> on ...something interfering with samba over the network... its
> like when
> your internet goes down and you try to visit a website and your
> browser
> says "not available" then the internet is back on and you try to
> go to
> the same website with the same error only you know the internet
> is up
> ...and you simply have to refresh your browser ...sorry getting
> loopy

-- David J. Andruczyk