[nflug] Open File Backup

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Mar 2 21:27:44 EST 2007

eric wrote:
> Cyber Source wrote:
>

>> Justin Bennett wrote:
>>

>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>>   I'm looking for a backup product that will allow me to backup files
>>> that are currently in use, namely Lotus notes databases on a Domino
>>> server running Linux. Traditionally I've been a full backup with TAR
>>> type of guy, I don't have so much data where I've had to go
>>> incremental (yet).
>>>   I don't like the hassle of incremental backups, having to maintain
>>> a database of tapes, ect. I like to throw it to a tape with tar, and
>>> know it's there and that tape will work anywhere. However in my
>>> experience Tar doesn't do so hot when the file is being changed while
>>> it's being backed up. :)
>>>
>>>   With that said I need a solution that will allow me to do a full
>>> file system backup that has open file protection, however I'm looking
>>> for something simple, I'm not looking to get into the backend database
>>> scenario if I don't have to.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Justin

>> I'm still a fan of dump ;)
>>

> Linus is mad at you Cyber :)

Dump works just fine for me, hasn't let me down yet. That's ok, I also
hear he's a KDE head too and hates Gnome, so he obviously has some
judgment errors ;). For a guy that's suppose to be all about choice, I
was really surprised to read this....
but that's ok, as long as he keeps doing what he does with the kernel,
it's all good!