[nflug] Dell Ubuntu order

Franklin Kumro Jr fkumro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:49:01 EDT 2007

I'm going to share my experience with ordering a dell Ubuntu machine,
if you could care less then don't continue :-P

The process started when I customized the E520N and added it to my
shopping cart, next step was to call to receive my 10% off discount.
This is where the fun begins, Benjamin was on the other line to assist
me. After explaining the discount situation Benjamin needed to know
what computer I was going to get. I explained the E520N (N is the
Ubuntu line), however he had no idea what that machine was. He then
asked what OS I wanted and I said Ubuntu. This must have blew a fuse
because he became silent and put me on hold. About 4 minutes later
Benjamin came back on the phone and asked me 6 more times what OS I
wanted. I spelled it out for him and then ended up telling him to go
to dell.com/linux and check it out.

About 10 more minutes passed at this point and then he asked me for
the specs of the machine I wanted. Not only did he match them (besides
video card - oh does the nvidia 6150 come on intel cpu boards? I
didn't think it did) but I got a pretty good price too.

The kicker was he was very excited to throw in Norton (I think?) Anti
virus for me with free support! I broke out laughing and tried to
explain exactly why that would do me no good but Benjamin didn't
understand.

After the order was completed Benjamin and myself parted ways and I
went to the dell.com website where I could not find the nvidia 6150
video chipset for an intel cpu. This was what I was to receive so one
of us is wrong (My bet is I am).

Its been > 12 hours and my credit card was billed but I was not sent
any order information...who wants to bet this beast comes with vista?

--
Frank
Shenanigans!!