[nflug] Inter-VLAN routing help!

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 17:35:01 EDT 2007

sorry for the delay  but here's my view.

My knowledge is all cisco specific so you'd need to
look into dells docs for the conversions.

Setup  a port on an upper level swtich (preferrable
something near the root of the network, assuming a
cross-connected (redundant paths) spoked network
design, , setup a port as "switchport mode trunk"
 (vlan trunking to pass multiple vlans on that one
port), and have a linux router with VLAN support and
creted two vlan interfaces,  one for VLAN1 and one for
VLAN200, and setup routing via that..

Way back when I did networking, for one of the large
ones I co-setup/administered,  we had a 6509 blade
switch at the core, with a multiple level gigabit
ethernet  distribution switches in the facility
followed by 24-48 port end switches leading to the
users machines. (large network,  about $400,000 worth
of equipment at the time, serving about 3000 ports)

The core switch had a router blade that was able to
handle all the inter vlan routing  but the theory is
the same,  a virtual interface was created with
switchport mode trunk, set to not filter any vlans.
(you can setup VMPS filters or whatever they called
them to limit vlan propogation), then created vlan
interfaces in the router. (int vlan1,  int vlan200),
and setup the routes/firewall rules as needed.

NOTE: this is a simplistic method and glosses over a
LOT of there details.  I'm not up on Dell's switches
and their terminology, and vlan capability,  but the
concepts are similar.

-- David J. Andruczyk