[nflug] who could have imagined

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Fri Jul 13 21:20:14 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 21:03 -0400, Joshua Ronne Altemoos wrote:
> This just pisses me off. I can't believe that IE can cause a problem
> with Mozilla's products...
>
> On 7/13/07, anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have read some articles about this and its funny
> > some of the writers are so biased and against Mozilla
> > probably paid by MS to  write in their article
> > implying blame on Mozilla and not MS.
> > --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> >
> > > this....
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/58273.html

Don't be too pissed off.  Microsoft is "only" responsible for having yet
another way of doing something that a programmer should NEVER allow to
happen - accept input from an untrustworthy source and allow a means for
that input to execute "code" on the local computer without the user
having a chance to decide whether or not that should be allowed.  It's
the malicious Web sites that were choosing to instruct IE to start up
Firefox and feed it the poisoned URL (meaning that malicious Web site
could have told IE to start up Word and feed it the poisoned URL instead
of Firefox - the choice of what IE runs is up to the Web site and not
somehow hardcoded into IE).

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu