[nflug] bash vi shell key bindings history-expand-line problem

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Fri Jul 13 16:08:02 EDT 2007

I've been using vi key bindings in bash on my workstation for a couple
weeks. Since then, I've come to like it quite a bit.

I frequently type stuff like this:

$ mkdir /some/place/
$ vi !$ #(escape ^ here)
   #which the shell expands to
$ vi /some/place/ #(and I just continue typing here)

This makes use of bash's history-expand-line (M-^). Sometimes I just type
the end right onto the '!$', but sometimes I like to expand it first.

However, since I'm using vi key bindings, my meta key is no longer ESC -
that now takes me out of edit mode in vi.