[nflug] Thanks go out re: DVI connection

David Mangani buckettruckdave at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:05:52 EST 2007

Congrats John!

So far I love my monitor and I'm happy to hear that you like yours as
well! I noticed an improvement in font clarity going to DVI. I was
actually fortunate, mine pretty much just "worked", pete and others
really did all the digging and configuring. I appreciate the mention
just the same.

Dave

On 1/31/07, Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> John G. Boice wrote:
> > Kudos to Dave Mangani and Peter [CyberSource].
> >
> > Your discussions of hooking up the DVI monitor interface in your own
> > situations has emboldened me to do the same.
> >
> > I got a new DFP monitor about 6 weeks ago: Samsung SynchMaster 940BW.
> > Not the top of the line, but nice. 19" widescreen, with both VGA & DVI
> > inputs.
> >
> > My old video card was a Leadtek nVidia with a VGA output.  Through
> > circumstances too involved to be easily condensed, two weeks ago I wound
> > up with a new vid card. An MSI with nVidia FX5200, with both VGA & DVI
> > output.
> >
> > However, nothing ventured, nothing screwed. . . so I just "kept on
> > keeping on" my VGA connection that suited my xorg.conf from my old card.
> >
> > Peter's example  got me to look into the nVidia readme/installation
> > guide for my driver version.   The two of you comparing notes got me
> > going.  And I started tweaking, setting new options --learning a lot in
> > the process.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm running the monitor off the DVI connection now, and at
> > 120x120 dpi, the 1440x900 px native res looks real nice!
> >
> > Thanks, gentlemen.
> >
> > John
> >

> Congrats, good to hear! I was always a staunch believer that resolutions
> higher than 1024x768 on 17" monitors was too small. But now with these
> 19" wide screens, 1440x900 is fine and with my 20" wide screen,
> 1680x1050 is fine, a little small but still fine. One thing I have
> noticed is that the themes look awesome at such resolutions. I've always
> like the grand canyon control theme in Gnome and the way it looks on
> 1680x1050 is just no comparison to the way it looks on 1024x768, such
> beautiful eye candy!

Debian Linux/FC6/Sometimes Ubuntu.