[nflug] entire hard drive copy

eric eric at bootz.us
Wed Jan 31 12:17:06 EST 2007

I think that sounds about right, I can shrink the partition and just
copy the partition  to different size drives.  I used QTParted and
shrunk a partition it worked well, actually really well as I resized and
committed  6 times before restarting the system, I couldn't decide how
big I wanted to leave the size of the partition.

joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:

> Thus spake joshj at linuxmail.org:
>

>> Thus spake eric:
>>
>>>  using knoppix or other cd running distro I can do the following to
>>>  create an image of the hard drive, and the deploy the image to other
>>>  computers doing the opposite correct?  And, would I have to use
>>>  something like QTParted to resize if the image is too small or too
>>> large
>>>  for the new hard drive?
>>>
>>>  "tar cf - /dev/hda | ssh DestinationServer dd
>>>  of=/my-directory/my-hda-image"
>>

>> close
>>
>>     dd if=/dev/hda |ssh server "dd of=/dev/hdX"
>>
>> or
>>
>>     dd if=/dev/hda |ssh server "dd of=/dir/image.raw"
>>

>>> :)  I know this has been talked about, but I don't have the email
>>>  anymore, I bought a knoppix book but it's at home and doesn't talk
>>> about
>>>  the resizing of the image to fit or grow on different size hard drives
>>>  which I seem to remember being an issue?
>>

> (I Should have read a little furthur). If I remember, I think that
> copying directly to larger HD is fine (I think the last partition picks
> up any extra space. But don't quote me on that).  If its smaller you
> will have to do some finagling or use a different tool (I don't know
> what though).
>
> You can use tar in the capacity that you described if you make the
> partitions on the destination server ahead-of-time and then copy (so,
> this will work with different sized hard drives as long as the contents
> of a source partition aren't larger than the space alotted in the
> destination partition):
>
> tar -cf - /mountpoint/for/partion/* |gzip -c -9 |ssh server "tar zxvf -
> -C /your/new/mountpoint"
>

>>>  Thank Eric

after years of waiting...